The Bethel area is Maine's premier four-season recreational, retirement, and second-home destination. It is located in western Maine nestled in the Androscoggin River valley and surrounded by the Mahoosuc Mountain range. (Click for MAP.)
“I came here for a season…fourteen years ago,” is a classic punchline to a lot of stories told by Bethel area locals. They thought they were coming for one reason, and it turned out that they found 100 other reasons to never leave. Here are just a few of those reasons:
- Top-notch outdoor recreation opportunities for all seasons and abilities - alpine and XC skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, hiking, wildlife watching...
- Hiking and sightseeing in the nearby White Mountain National Forest, Grafton Notch State Park, and Umbagog National Wildlife Refuge;
- A small but wonderful and walkable downtown that has all the shopping and services you need - and a National Historic District;
- Rivers and lakes that are beautiful to look at, and even more fun to play in;
- Arts, music, and culture ranging from local theater groups to acts of national significance;
- A huge variety of restaurants;
- Lodging options for all tastes and budgets - B&B's, inns, hotels, motels, resorts, campgrounds, and vacation homes.
The Bethel area is a one-of-a-kind destination. It has all of the comforts, none of the crowds. You can come just for one visit if you want to. But we won’t be surprised if your visit is a little longer next time.
Need to hear more? Peruse this website (look through the tabs near the top of the page, or use the search function on the upper right), email us or give the Bethel Area Chamber of Commerce a call at 207-824-2282.