One of the finest Federal style residences in its region, the Dr. Moses Mason House was begun in 1813 on a spacious lot facing onto the common at Bethel Hill village. According to Dr. Nathaniel Tuckerman True, Bethel?s eminent nineteenth century historian, the Mason house was the first on the common to be painted white, the first on a high foundation of granite slabs, and the first to make use of exterior shutters. The house and grounds were renovated and restored in 1972-73 by the Bingham Trust, which presented the property to the Bethel Historical Society in 1974 in memory of William Bingham 2nd, the town?s great twentieth century philanthropist.
Nine rooms in the Mason House have been arranged to depict the residence as it appeared from 1813 to 1869 during the occupancy of Dr. Mason (1789-1866) and his wife, Agnes M. Straw (1793-1869). On view are a wide variety of eighteenth and nineteenth century examples of the decorative arts?many original to the house and all part of the permanent collection.