Paddling & Boating in the Bethel, Maine Area
The Androscoggin River is the mightiest in the Bethel area. It begins at the outlet of Lake Umbagog in the Umbagog National Wildlife Refuge on the ME/NH border, then meanders through the northern New Hampshire wilderness before taking a sharp eastern turn towards Maine. The Upper Andro, as it’s sometimes called, is home to some excellent trout fishing that’s still kind of a secret, and very scenic paddling. For the adventurous, whitewater rafting is only about an hour’s drive, and several outfitters in the immediate Bethel area will be happy to offer canoes, kayaks, tubes, stand-up paddleboards, and shuttle services.
Many area ponds and lakes offer boat launches. Peruse the links below for ideas.
- Where to rent kayaks, canoes, SUPs/standup paddleboards, and boats near Bethel, Maine
- Whitewater rafting outfitters and guided trips
- Interactive map of boat launches and access points on the Androscoggin River
- Interactive map of Boat launches for rivers, lakes, and ponds near Bethel, Maine
- Suggested paddles in the Umbagog National Wildlife Refuge
- Find public boat launches on river and lakes with boatus.com -- put in the zip code.